Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Learning from the Past: Explain how the quiz show scandals affected CBS and how you purpose to get out of this mess.


If I was in was in the president of CBS,Robert Kintner's shoes during the quiz show scandal, I would have followed the public relations motto that we discussed in class: mess up, fess up, and dress up. I perhaps would have has a press conference. Since honesty is the best policy, I would not only tell the truth, but also ask forgiveness from the audience. Like in Charles Van Doren's testimony, I would state that this incident was a lesson in mass communication ethics and trust. Additionally, in order to make amends, I would donate money to an educational charity that contributes to scholarships. Finally, I would assure the public that this would never happen again.

However, I can understand why he felt it was necessary to distance himself and deny knowledge of the scandal. The observation made by the Gertitol executive, played by Martin Scorsese, still holds true today when he said that the public has a short term memory, but corporations remember. Although, if I was unethical and corrupt, I would have denied all knowledge of the question rigging and found some fall guys too. 

1 comment: